There are many online materials dedicated to bioinformatics education including
courses, tutorials, documents, etc. You are most encouraged to get access
to these self-educational web sites during the course and for your further
Molecule of the Month (Biology)
- A web site which presents short accounts on selected
molecules from the Protein Data Bank. It was created in Jan 2000 and is
being maintained by David S. Goodsell at Scripps.
Molecule of the Month (Chemistry)
- An online chemistry educational resource developed and maintained by Paul May
- A web site which tells short stories on protein molecules as well as the
scientific research and the scientists behind these interesting stories.
It was started in Jan 2000 and is being maintained by Vivienne B. Gerritsen
at Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
and his colleagues in the UK since 1996.
Videos and Audios
- NCBI Video Vault
- The web portal of NCBI Videos, including primarily tutorials and instructional videos.
- Crash Courses
- The video presentations (with Chinese caption) on general biology by Hank Green.
- This Week in Virology - a weekly netcast animated by professors Vincent Racaniello
and Dick Despommier from the Columbia University, USA.
- A public resource for knowledge on the timescale and evolutionary history of life.
- A knowledge resource to understand viral diversity at SIB.
- Virus and Bioinformatics
- Virus and bioinformatics articles with some microbiology and immunology thrown
in for good measure curated by Dr. Chris Upton
- Aho's Amazing Atlas of Antibody Anatomy.
- Amino Acid Explorer
- Table of names and various properties of 20 amino acids.
- NCBI Bookshelf
- A growing collection of free online biomedical books that can be searched
directly through the NCBI Entrez system.
- An online book chapter of the anatomy and taxonomy written in 1981 and
being updated by Jane Richardson at Duke University.
- Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
- The online web site for the text book Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
written by Jonathan Pevsner.
- PubMed Central - The
U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) free digital archive of biomedical
and life sciences journals.
- BioMed Central - The web
site of more than 180 open access biomedical journals freely available,
started by a UK publisher in London since 2001.
- PLOS - The web site of several significant
open access biological and medical journals freely available, stared by
the Public Library of Science, a non-profit organization composed of many
- A web site maintained by the Stanford University Libraries. It gives
a list of biomedical journals which provide either immediate or 6/12/18/24
months delay of free online full-text articles.
- The first website in the world to provide mass & public access to research
papers. It was created by Alexandra Elbakyan, a young Kazakhstan information
scientist and listed by Nature as one of the
people who mattered in 2016.
- PubMed tutorial at NLM.
- Example-Driven Web-Based BLAST Tutorial at NCBI.
- MyNCBI tutorial.
- An online course for principles of protein structure, comparative protein
modeling and visualization maintained by Nicolas Guex and Manuel C. Peitsch
at Glaxo Wellcome.
- User guide and tutorials of Swiss-Pdb Viewer.
- Workshop examples for Phyre2.
Online Bioinformatics Courses
- EBI - EBI online
- Global Organisation for Bioinformatics Learning, Education & Training.
- An online course for Sequence Analysis with Distributed Resources,
Bielefeld University, Germany.
- A platform for learning bioinformatics and programming through problem
- ELIXIR's Training Portal in Europe.
- A clear description of the global sequence alignment algorithm by